- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Two day tour around Snaefellsnes Peninsula
- Hraunfossar & Barnafossar Waterfalls
- One night accommodation w/breakfast
- The Picturesque Kirkjufell Mountain
- Cave Exploration in Vatnshellir Cave
- Northern Lights Hunting
Experience the magical Snaefellsnes Peninsula & Borgarfjordur on this excellent 2-day expedition. Get ready to explore hot springs, waterfalls, lava fields, black beaches and see the notorious Snaefellsjokull glacier. You will also get the chance to enter 8.000 year old lava cave and try to catch a glimpse of the mystical Northern Lights.
Your two day tour in west Iceland is about to begin. Prepare to explore amazing things like, lava fields, dreamy waterfalls, dark caves, black and white beaches, historical locations and the mighty Snaefellsjokull glacier of the west.
You will be picked up in the morning by a guide and a driver and you will be heading straight towards the mountain Esja, which overlooks Reykjavik. Driving along side it you will reach Hvalfjordur fjords, the name of it translates to “whale fjord”. You will enjoy the features of the area, towering snow capped mountains and open fields. You will be able to see an old abandoned naval base, which was occupied by the British during WWII.
After Hvalfjordur you will head on to Borgarfjordur, a region filled with historical heritage, Viking sailors reached land and settled there after leaving their homeland.
Reykholtsdalur valley is your next location, there you can learn all about the forces of Deildartunguhver, Europe’s most powerful hot spring. From there you will journey to the village of Reykholt, where Snorri Sturluson, the poet, lawmaker and historian used to live during the Middle ages. Snorri wrote many codices that are invaluable records of mythology and the Old Norse language.
Not far from there are you will find two very different but equally beautiful waterfalls, Hraunfossar and Barnafoss. Hraunfossar are a series of streams rushing through dark lava fields and Barnafoss, a bright blue stream speeding through a narrow ravine.
You will then head to your accommodation for a restful sleep. Keep an eye out for the magical Aurora at night, especially if the sky is starry and clear.
The glacier of the west, Snaefellsjokull towers over the Peninsula in all its glory. The glacier played an important role in the novel Journey to the Centre of the Earth, by Jules Verne, where it was the opening point to a great underground journey. You will have a nice breakfast and then head out for a adventure where you will be exploring the underground.
Once you have reached the Snaefellsnes Peninsula you will visit Gerduberg Cliff, a large basalt column wall. Next you will be able to explore a white sand beach at Ytri-Tunga, which is unusual for Icelandic beaches, most of them have black sand. The sand in Ytri-Tunga is golden and the location is great for spotting seals.
The village of Arnarstapi is your next destination, a small fishing village surrounded by basalt ravines and lava pillars. You can see old fisherman landing spots and you can follow a path leading you along the coast with the Atlantic Ocean waves crushing against Gatklettur arch rock.
You will head to Djupalonssandur, a black pebble beach, to get there you will trek through a unique field of lava pillars and rocks, a very special location, unlike anything else. When you reach the beach you can walk on the pebble shore and take in all the incredible features of the location.
As the Professor Otto Lidenbrok along with his uncle Axel from Verne’s novel, you will venture into the volcanic tube towards earths core, you wont reach the centre of the earth but Vatnshellir lava cave is an exhilarating experience. In the cave you will follow a path of lava that was created over 8,000 years ago.
After you resurface from the lava cave you will continue to explore Snaefellsnes and head to the northern part of the Peninsula. The iconic Kirkjufell mountain will welcome you with all of its unique features. As you may know, the mountain was featured in the popular series, Game of Thrones and has become one of Iceland's most popular sites.
On your way back to the capital, you will past Hraunsfjordur, a beautiful fjords surrounded by mountains covered in snow you will be able to see the dark lava field of Berserkjahraun, and your guide will give you some knowledge about the road’s construction.
Remember to keep a look out for the magical sight in the sky when it gets dark, the Northern Lights with their unbelievable colors cant wait to put on a show for you. You then will reach your accommodation in Reykjavik in the evening where you can relax, that concludes your journey to West Iceland.
- Rated 2 out of 5 or Easy
- 8 years old
- Hotel pick up & drop off in Reykjavik
- 2 day guided tour by minibus
- Professional English speaking guide
- One night accommodation with breakfast
- Lava cave tour
- Northern lights spotting
- Lunch & dinner
What to bring:
- See more detailed list below
- Warm layers of clothes (1st layer) - Thermal or Wool recommended
- Waterproof clothes (2nd layer)
- Warm socks & hat
- Waterproof hiking boots
- Slip-resistant soles or ice-grip shoe covers recommended
- Slippers and Pj's
- 8:00 AM
- 09:30 AM
- Every day
- Single rooms (required for solo travelers) - ISK 7,500 p. pers.
Good to know:
- Customers travelling on their own will receive a single room. Reservations for 2 people will be allocated a double room. For bookings of 3 or more, triple rooms will automatically be allocated. For example, a group of 8 will receive 2 triple rooms and 1 double. If these arrangements do not meet your requirements, please contact the provider.
- For your convenience, it is recommended that you pack lightly for this tour, in a small bag or backpack. If you have large luggage with you, please check with your accommodation if they offer luggage storage for your time on this tour. If that is not a possibility, you can take your larger luggage along for a small fee.
- Please note that only pick up & drop-off from designated pick up locations in the greater capital area is available, not from Keflavík International Airport. Therefore, we do not recommend attempting to start this tour on your arrival day in Iceland.
- The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon, and therefore cannot be guaranteed, but this itinerary is designed to maximize your chances to see them if weather allows.
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Northern Lights & Ice Cave
A long awaited winter break in a 4 star hotel, with sightseeing, light hiking and activities!
- 2 day winter adventure
- Glacier hiking & ice caving
- Chasing the Northern Lights
Volcanic Trail Trekking
The Volcanic Trails is a trekking tour combining three distinct sections through volcanic landscape which is one of the most various and complete to be found in the entire world.
- 10 day vacation package
- Trekking volcanic landscape
- Iceland's most amazing areas
South & West Coast
5 Day South Coast, Golden Circle, Snaefellsnes & West Coast tour. Explore stunning nature & landscape; auroras, glaciers, mountains, waterfalls, ice caves, geyser's, black sandy beaches and more.
- 5 day winter excursion
- South Coast & West Coast
- Golden Circle & Snaefellsnes
South Coast Wonders
Join us on an unforgettable two-day excursion of the Icelandic south coast; including Jokulsarlon (Glacier Lagoon), Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Reynisfjara and many others.
- 2 day tour
- Guided South Coast tour
- Glacier Lagoon & Skaftafell
- All Year