- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Golden Circle attractions
- Ice cave & glacier hiking
- Hunting for Northern Lights
This three day south coast adventure tour embraces the highlights of the South of Iceland. It includes the historical and geological Thingvellir National Park, the majestic Golden waterfall Gullfoss, the world famous Geysir hot spring, the renowned Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón not to forget the immense black beaches and beautiful waterfalls of the south coast. On top of these unique natural wonders the tour includes exciting activities like a Glacier Walk and a tour the Ice Cave (from November). We spend two nights at a family run country hotel where we enjoy traditional Icelandic dinners. This is also a perfect place for our Northern Lights hunts!
Day 1: Geology, history, Geysers and Waterfalls.
Pick up between 8:15 and 8:45 by your guide and driver at your accommodation. We leave the capital towards the National Park of Thingvellir. There we walk along the faults and fissures of the area that make evident the rifting of the earth's crust and hear about the major historic events that have taken place at this UNESCO world heritage site. We continue towards Geysir geothermal area and witness the spouting spring Strokkur that erupts up to 30 meters high and close by the majestic Gullfoss waterfall. From there we drive along the scenic south coast for dinner and overnight at a country hotel near Kirkjubæjarklaustur. Northern lights hunting in the evening if the weather permits.
Day 2: Glaciers, Icebergs and Ice caving.
Today we head further east along Europe’s largest glacier Vatnajökull. Our first stop will be at the renowned Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón filled with huge floating icebergs. The afternoon will be adventurous and includes a tour into the crystal ice caves. In late afternoon we return to our hotel for dinner. The evening will be spent northern light hunting if the weather permits.
Day 3: Black beaches, Waterfalls and Glacier walking
On our journey back to Reykjavík we take time to stop and enjoy the picturesque landscape of the South Coast and we stroll along the black beaches of Vík and Reynisfjara, being aware of the big and powerful waves of the Atlantic Ocean. We will experience exciting glacier walk on Glacier Sólheimajökull and we will take a close look at the beautiful waterfalls Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss before returning to Reykjavik in late afternoon.
Please note that the itinerary might change due to weather conditions.
Certified Tour Operator:
Icelandic Mountain Guides
- Rated 2 out of 5 or Easy
- 13 years old
- Maximum 16 participants
- Breakfast and dinner
- Ice Cave tour and a Glacier Walk
- Outdoor clothing
- Hiking boots
What to bring:
- View recommended equipment list below
- Light hiking boots
- Thermal underwear – Wool or synthetic
- Wind and waterproof jacket and pants, hiking pants
- Gloves, Warm socks, Warm hats
- Extra warm jacket / parka for cold days (winter)
- Small backpack for clothes and items used during the day – 20L (1200 cu in), Water bottle
- Sunglasses and sun protection (summer & spring)
- Casual clothes / change of clothes
- Prescription medication and other personal health items
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc
- Swim suit (depends on tour)
- Walking pole(s), Sun/rain Hat or a Cap
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card or films
- 8:15 AM
- 8:45 AM
- Every Thursday from November to March
- Double room in a guesthouse in Reykjavík, one night before and one night after the trip - 15.750 ISK per person.
- Double room in a three star hotel in Reykjavík, one night before and one night after the trip - 21.100 ISK per person.
- Single room in a guesthouse in Reykjavík, one night before and one night after the trip - 24.500 ISK.
- Single room in a three star hotel in Reykjavík, one night before and one night after the trip - 36.000 ISK
Book this tour
Why choose us?
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Surf & Snow Tour
Our surf & snow trip is the board rider’s dream; surf, ride and explore new turf with great guides in spectacular surroundings.
- 5 days surfing & snowboarding
- Surfing gear & meals included
- Geothermal pools & hot springs
Northern Lights & Ice Cave
A long awaited winter break in a 4 star hotel, with sightseeing, light hiking and activities!
- 2 day winter adventure
- Glacier hiking & ice caving
- Chasing the Northern Lights
This hike over Fimmvörðuháls is probably the best known in Iceland - this popular trail marks the sighting of the first phase of the 2010 eruption of Eyjafjallajökull.
- 3 day Fimmvörðuháls hike
- Iceland's most popular hike
- Astonishing landscape & nature
Hiking at End of the World
You will hike landscapes and variety in color, green hills and between small coves, venture into one of Iceland ‘s most remote wildernesses and visit a world of glaciers and ice.
- 5 day hiking excursion
- Remote wilderness of East Iceland
- Colorful landscape & glaciers