- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- RIB boat action tour
- Whale watching in North Iceland
- Wildlife and birds
Experience getting up close to the incredible humpback whales of the Eyjafjord, starting from the capital of North Iceland, Akureyri. With only 12 passengers on each boat we can guarantee an adventure of a lifetime on this intimate whale watching tour. Our specially made RIB boats allow you to get closer to the whales and wildlife than any other boat can offer. The RIBs are small and fast boats that get you to the viewing area quickly and cover a bigger area as we search for the wildlife. This means a bigger chance of spotting whales, dolphins and bird life with out disturbing them in their natural habitat.
The Eyjaford is narrow and deep, with 60 km of sheltered waters, and just 6-10 km wide, it is absolutely perfect for our RIB boats. It is also a place of serene beauty, full of marine life and framed in by massive, glacier carved and snow capped mountains. To ride out the fjord is an adventure and photo opportunity not soon forgotten. But we are here for the whales and wildlife, and there is plenty of it. The local population, the Eyjaford humpback whales, are already becoming world famous. They cruise the fjord in summer in a feeding frenzy and reach the height of their activity when the warm summer sun shines throughout the day and night in June, July and August. They are the star of the show here, but we also occasionally spot minke whales, dolphins, harbor porpoises, seals and rarely killer whales.
Certified Tour Operator:
- May 15th to September 15th
- Rated 3 out of 5 or Moderate
- Yes (extra cost - only from Akureyri)
Meet on Location:
- 10 years old (145 cm)
- 12:1 per guide
- Guided whale and sightseeing tour on a 12 seat RIB boat
- Warm suit that you will wear over your own clothes that keeps you "dry" and toasty
- We also supply special gloves and goggles (you can wear your glasses underneath)
What to bring:
- Bring warm outdoor clothing like a wool or fleece sweater
- Some warm headgear and gloves
- Sturdy shoes are recommended
- 20 minutes before departure
- 10:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00
- Every Day (from Hof Culture Center)
Good to know:
- Departure times and dates: From the 15th of May to the 14th of June and 1st of September to the 15th of September two departures a day at 10:00 and 14:00.
- From the 15th of June to the 31st of August four departures a day at 10:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00.
- This tour may not be suitable for pregnant women. Consult your doctor before signing up. This tour may not be suitable for those with history of back problems or back injury. Consult your doctor before signing up. This tour may not be suitable for those over the age of 65 years.
- Cancellations due to weather: We sometimes need to cancel this tour due to winds in the main whale habitat area. In such an event we will offer you three choices. The most fun one: re-book your tour at a later date with out any additional costs. The next one: if our bigger sightseeing ships are sailing (they sail in more wind then the RIB boats) we can book you there and refund you the difference. Or finally...a full refund. :)
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Horse Riding - Laxnes Tour
This tour is for everyone interested in enjoying a ride on the sure footed Icelandic horse in the beautiful nature and countryside of Iceland.
- Family horse riding tour
- Icelandic nature & countryside
- Sturdy footed Icelandic horse
- All year
Horse Riding & Whales
Combo horse riding tour in the Icelandic countryside & Whale Watching from Reykjavík old harbor.
- Horse riding & Whale watching
- Experience the Icelandic horse
- Chase whales from Reykjavík
- Mars - Nov
Horse Ride & Blue Lagoon
Enjoy a two hour Horse Riding tour in the charming countryside and visit the extraordinary Blue Lagoon afterwards.
- Horse riding in countryside
- Approximately 2 hours riding
- Visit the Blue Lagoon (optional)
- All year