- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Volcanoes & Glaciers in Iceland
- Þórsmörk nature reserve from air
- Notorious Eyjafjallajökull glacier
- Hekla Volcano
- Hengill Geothermal area
- Westmann Islands
On our spectacular volcano sightseeing tour where we overfly Þórsmörk Nature Reserve and land on Fimmvörðuháls volcanic crater. We also fly above the infamous, and now dormant, Eyjafjallajökull Glacier Volcano whose eruption in 2010 became global news. From the top we head down its glacier tongue Gígjökull, that was split in half by hot melting lava. And if we're lucky we might even catch a glimpse of Iceland's most active volcano- Hekla, and the Westman Islands. En route back to Reykjavik we follow the black lava sand beach that stretches hundreds of kilometers along the South Coast of Iceland. The black sand beach is a vast expanse of volcanic material laid bare by the endless tides of the ocean. With it's eerie beauty, the black sands are sought after by Hollywood film studies to provide the landscape for films like Oblivion, Prometheus, and other science fiction films. As we continue back to Reykjavík we soar over lava fields, explore craters, and fly over the Hengill geothermal area to get a better idea of how power plants harness geothermal heat to provide clean, sustainable energy.
- All year
- Rated 1 out of 5 or Easy
Meet on Location:
- Yes (Reykjavík Airport)
- Sightseeing Helicopter tour
- Þórsmörk Nature Reserve
- Eyjafjallajökull Glacier Volcano
- Hekla Volcano
- Geothermal area
- Vestmann Islands
- 1 Landing
What to bring:
- Dress warmly
- Morning (from 08:00-13:00) & Afternoon (from 13:00-20:00)
- Every day (from Reykjavík Airport - Norðurflug)
Good to know:
- Our morning departures vary from 08:00 to 13:00, and the evening departures from 13:00 to 20:00.
- Please note that during the winter months, we begin operating later in the day due to the limited amount of daylight we experience in Iceland.
- Any passengers over 120 kg / 265 lbs / 19 stone are required to pay for 1.5 seats in the helicopter. This will ensure that everyone on the tour has a comfortable and safe ride!
- Minimum 3 passengers required