- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Literally inside a volcano
- Once in a lifetime experience
- Amazing colors in hues of red, yellow and purple
- 120 meters (400 feet) descend in an open elevator
Iceland guided tour to Þrihnjúkagigur Volcano - the only spot on earth where it’s advisable to explore a magma chamber from the inside. The volcano has not erupted for 4.000 years and shows no signs of coming to life anytime soon, so it is safe to enter. The volcano is located approximately 25 minute drive from Reykjavik.
What to expect? Once we arrive, we will need to hike across a lava field in order to reach the crater now you have entered the volcanic zone! The walk is moderate and typically takes around 30-40 minutes. Distance walked is approximately 2.5 km (1.7 miles) each way. Once we arrive you will be lowered 120 meters (400 feet) into the crater in an open elevator. All equipment and procedures have been tested extensively and approved by the administration of Occupational Safety and Health in Iceland- rest assured! No knowledge of hiking or climbing is needed. Groups will be small, so you will have the personal attention of your experienced guides. After the unique experience you'll get the chance to enjoy delicious Icelandic meat soup (vegetarian options are available) & some coffee or tea.
Travel tip: Dress warmly or bring small backpack with extra layers of clothes since temperature inside the crater is about 5-6°C (42-43°F). Since you'll have to hike for some distance - we recommend having good hiking shoes on or strong thick sole shoes. Water bottle is optional, but good for hydration. Camera is a must!
- All year
- Rated 3 out of 5 or Moderate
Meet on Location:
- 18 years old
- Complimentary pick-up and drop-off for hotels and guest houses in Reykjavik (special stops)
- Round-trip transportation
- Professional travel guide
- All safety gear; helmets, harness etc.
- Traditional Icelandic meat soup. Vegetarian soup is also served.
What to bring:
- Dress warmly (trainers and jeans is not sufficient)
- Good hiking shoes ( about 2.5 km each way)
- Warm sweater or jacket
- Water bottle (optional)
- Pick up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time stated on your voucher.
- From: 08:00-13:00, 10:00-15:00, 11:00-16:00, 12:00-17:00, 14:00-19:00, 15:00-20:00
- Every day
- Wear proper walking/hiking shoes - about 2.5 km each way
- Wear warm clothes - trainers and jeans is not sufficient
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Visit the most popular attractions in north Iceland on the Diamond Circle tour.
- Free pickup from Akureyri
- Popular sights of North Iceland
- Waterfalls, canyons & craters
- All year
Þórsmörk - Hiking Paradise
A guided Super Jeep tour to Þórsmörk Nature's reserve - enjoy the spectacular lunar landscape of Þórsmörk with it's magical canyon's and valley's.
- Free pickup
- Guided Super Jeep tour
- Lunar landscape of Þórsmörk
- All Year
The Golden Circle Day Tour
This Iceland day tour takes you to the historical heritage of Þingvellir National Park, Gullfoss - the queen of Icelandic waterfalls, and Geysir - world famous geothermal area.
- Guided Bus tour
- Famous Golden Circle route
- Visit to Fridheimar greenhouse
- All year