- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Hike through the 3rd largest geothermal zone in the world
- Vividly colored mountains
- Black sands and bright green moss
- Barbeque and extra day in the oasis of Þórsmörk
The rumors are true! Iceland excursion trekking in the southern highlands, from the geothermal hot spots in Landmannalaugar to the lush green landscape in Þórsmörk valley, is even more beautiful in person. You will traverse in between vibrant yellow rhyolite mountains, over black sand deserts and past majestic canyons during this adventure. It is not a coincidence that this trail is a favorite among locals and travelers from the around the world.
Day 1: Reykjavík-Landmannalaugar-Hrafntinnusker
We take the public bus from BSI bus terminal at 08:00, that during the summer months drives the mountain tracks that lead to Landmannalaugar, passing by the Hekla volcano and other volcanoes in the Dómadalur area. Arriving in Landmannalaugar at noon, we have a lunch and then head south into the mountains. The trail takes us past small gorges, steaming hot springs and yellow mountain ridges. Arrival at Hrafntinnusker mountain hut, were we will stay the night, in the late afternoon.
Distance: 12km (7.5 mi) Walking time: 4-5 hrs Ascent: 470 m (1540 ')
Day 2: Hrafntinnusker-Álftavatn
From Hrafntinnusker we descend down in the gullies of Jökultungur with hundreds of steaming hot springs and mud pools. Up there we enjoy fascinating views to the south to the Álftavatn area (Swan Lake), and the Mýrdalsjökull and Eyjafjallajökull glaciers. In the afternoon we arrive at Álftavatn hut where we stay the night.
Distance: 12km (7.5 mi) Walking time: 4-5 hrs Descent: 490 m (1610 ')
Day 3: Álftavatn-Emstrur
We pass at the foot of the green conic volcano of Stórasúla before entering the black deserts of Mælifellssandur. Heading towards another ancient and verdurous volcano, the Hattfell, we enter the Emstrur region where farmers used to graze their sheep in summer. Before arriving at the Botnar hut where we stay the night, we visit the magnificent Markarfljót canyon cut almost 200 m down into the rocks south of Hattfell.
Distance: 16km (10 mi) Walking time: 6-7 hrs Descent: 40 m (130 ')
Day 4: Emstrur-Þórsmörk
We continue up and down through the small valleys and gullies of Emstrur, where the great Mýrdalsjökull glacier rises only a couple of kilometers away. As our hike is coming to an end for the day, we descend into Þórsmörk's (the woods of Thor) green valleys filled with arctic birch forests and colorful flowers. After arriving at the huts in Þórsmörk, we top off this amazing adventure with a barbecue!
Distance: 17km (10.5 mi) Walking time: 6-7 hrs Descent: 300 m (985 ')
Day 5: Þórsmörk-Reykjavík
We spend the morning in Þórsmörk where we walk along one of numerous paths. For example, we can visit to the Sönghellir cave (“Song cave”), climb up the small mountain of Valahnúkur from where magnificent view can be enjoyed, before taking the afternoon bus to Reykjavík. Arrival at Reykjavik BSI bus terminal where the trip ends.at 19:20
- Rated 2 to 3 out of 5 or Easy to Moderate
- 16 years old
- 6 to 16 participants
- Food for 5 days
- Mountain hut fees
- Cooking gear and transfer of luggage
What to bring:
- See equipment list below ↓
- Sturdy Hiking Boots – waterproof with good ankle support
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- T-shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Trousers – Strong and light material that dries quickly e.g. soft-shell
- Jacket with a good hood – windproof, waterproof and breathable
- Rain trousers – windproof, waterproof and breathable
- Gloves, Warm hat, Socks – Wool or synthetic (two or three pairs)
- Light wool or fleece sweater (2nd layer)
- A duffel bag for the transport of your overnight gear between huts (please avoid bringing a suitcase)
- Backpack for extra clothes and food during the day (25 – 40L), Water Container
- Light Sleeping bag, Towel, Sunglasses & Sun protection
- River shoes – Walking sandals or old running shoes with a good grip are a good choice, along with a pair of warm socks or neoprene socks
- Casual clothes/change of clothes for wearing in the hut
- Prescription medication and other personal health item
- Walking pole(s), Gaiters, Neoprene socks – highly recommended for river crossings
- Pen knife, Earplugs, Sun/rain hat or caps
- Thermal mat (for lunch breaks)
- Puffy jacket (e.g. Primaloft or down)
- Camera, spare batteries, Dry-bags for electronics and extra clothing
- Personal first aid kit – including blister care
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste etc
- Slippers for indoor use
- Aperitif or other heart-warming spirits
- From 6:50 to 7:10 AM
- 07:15 AM
- Every day
- Special dietary during tour, ISK 6.000 for adults & ISK 4.000 for children
- Sleeping bag during the tour, ISK 7.000
- Double room in a guesthouse in Reykjavik, w. shared facilities, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 25.500 ISK pr. person
- Single room in a guesthouse in Reykjavik, w. shared facilities, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 38.000 ISK
- Double room in a three-star hotel in Reykjavik, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 31.000 ISK pr. person
- Single room in a three-star hotel in Reykjavik, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 58.000 ISK
Good to know:
- About the mountain huts: All of the huts are heated, some have electricity and some have hot water. They have dormitories with single and twin beds, participants have to be prepared to share a bunk with other travelers from the group.
- Walking per day: 4 - 7 hours, Total walking distance: 56 km. (35 miles), Maximum Ascent: 600 m. (1900 feet).
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Northern Lights & Ice Cave
A long awaited winter break in a 4 star hotel, with sightseeing, light hiking and activities!
- 2 day winter adventure
- Glacier hiking & ice caving
- Chasing the Northern Lights
South & West Coast
5 Day South Coast, Golden Circle, Snaefellsnes & West Coast tour. Explore stunning nature & landscape; auroras, glaciers, mountains, waterfalls, ice caves, geyser's, black sandy beaches and more.
- 5 day winter excursion
- South Coast & West Coast
- Golden Circle & Snaefellsnes
Golden Circle & Glaciers
Winter short Iceland excursion with ice cave, glacier hiking and hunting for the Northern Lights!
- 3 day winter excursion
- Ice Cave & Glaciers
- Waterfalls & sandy beaches
Volcanic Trail Trekking
The Volcanic Trails is a trekking tour combining three distinct sections through volcanic landscape which is one of the most various and complete to be found in the entire world.
- 10 day vacation package
- Trekking volcanic landscape
- Iceland's most amazing areas