- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Iceland’s most extreme rafting experience
- World-class whitewater action
- Spectacular landscape & remote canyon
The raging waters of the East Glacial River gorge (Jökulsá-Austari) is the stage for our most challenging and action-packed day trip, appropriately named the “Beast of the East”! A spectacular combination of deep canyon scenery and relentless heart-pumping whitewater, the East Glacial River has consistently been rated one of Europe’s best rafting rivers and topped popular guide books’ lists of Iceland’s “must-do” highlights. Arguably the most remote single-day rafting trip on the planet, this whitewater adventure delivers an unforgettable journey into the raw beauty of Iceland’s river wilderness. Never rafted before? Not to worry! Despite its challenging nature, this trip doesn’t demand previous rafting experience. The ability to swim, enthusiasm for hard physical work (paddling & swimming), and a powerful thirst for adventure are all you need to take on the Beast!
* Available as a day trip from Akureyri or as an overnight trip from Reykjavík.
Certified Tour Operator:
- Rated 4+ out of 5 or Challenging to Demanding
- Yes (only available from Akureyri)
Meet on Location:
- 18 years old
- Certificated rafting guides
- Challenging river rafting action
- Meals & drinks
What to bring:
- Warm undergarments (fleece/wool sweater)
- Change of clothing
- Bathing suit and towel
- Pickup available from Akureyri (extra cost) - leaves at 7:20 from Akureyri Backpackers @ Hafnarstræti 98
- Every day
- Lunch of the Day - ISK 2,500 p. pers
- Pickup from Akureyri - ISK 6,000 p. pers
- Trip Photos - ISK 5,000
Good to know:
- The Viking Rafting base at Hafgrímsstaðir is located on Road #752, 15km from its junction with Hwy #1 at the west end of Varmahlíð. Simply follow Road #752 up the valley for about 10-15 minutes until you see us on the left-hand side of the road!
- FROM REYKJAVÍK: 305km/190mi (4-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ringroad) towards the North. Just after you descend a long hill into the Skagafjörður valley, Road #752 is on your RIGHT, about 500m before the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located).
- FROM AKUREYRI: 110km/68mi (1.5-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ring-road) towards the West. Continue along about 500m past the left turn in the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located) until you reach Road #752 on your LEFT.
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Snorkeling Silfra Tour
Float between two continental plates, surrounded by the astonishing clarity of the water and the mesmerizing colors of this underwater world.
- Snorkel in crystal clear waters
- Silfra rift volcanic valley's
- Hot chocolate and cookies
- All year
Dark side of Óshlíð
Sea kayaking trip under the steep mountainside of Óshlíð in the West fjords - with it's sheer pinnacles rising from the sea.
- 5-6 hour kayaking tour
- Sea kayaking in West fjords
- Mountain side of Óshlíð
- All year
Diving & Horse Riding
This day tour in Iceland is available from 1st of April to 30th of September. Go diving in the crystal clear waters of Silfra and enjoy a horse riding tour in Icelandic nature and countryside.
- Diving & Horse Riding
- Deep waters of Silfra
- Horse riding experience
Snorkeling & Horse Riding
This is a great Iceland day tour for the whole family – you do not need experience to snorkel or ride horses, the Icelandic horses are an extremely special and protected breed.
- Snorkeling in Silfra fissure
- Riding the Icelandic horse
- Ideal day tour for families