- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Iceland’s most extreme rafting experience
- World-class whitewater action
- Spectacular landscape & remote canyon
The raging waters of the East Glacial River gorge (Jökulsá-Austari) is the stage for our most challenging and action-packed day trip, appropriately named the “Beast of the East”! A spectacular combination of deep canyon scenery and relentless heart-pumping whitewater, the East Glacial River has consistently been rated one of Europe’s best rafting rivers and topped popular guide books’ lists of Iceland’s “must-do” highlights. Arguably the most remote single-day rafting trip on the planet, this whitewater adventure delivers an unforgettable journey into the raw beauty of Iceland’s river wilderness. Never rafted before? Not to worry! Despite its challenging nature, this trip doesn’t demand previous rafting experience. The ability to swim, enthusiasm for hard physical work (paddling & swimming), and a powerful thirst for adventure are all you need to take on the Beast!
* Available as a day trip from Akureyri or as an overnight trip from Reykjavík.
Certified Tour Operator:
- Rated 4+ out of 5 or Challenging to Demanding
- Yes (only available from Akureyri)
Meet on Location:
- 18 years old
- Certificated rafting guides
- Challenging river rafting action
- Meals & drinks
What to bring:
- Warm undergarments (fleece/wool sweater)
- Change of clothing
- Bathing suit and towel
- Pickup available from Akureyri (extra cost) - leaves at 7:20 from Akureyri Backpackers @ Hafnarstræti 98
- Every day
- Lunch of the Day - ISK 2,500 p. pers
- Pickup from Akureyri - ISK 6,000 p. pers
- Trip Photos - ISK 5,000
Good to know:
- The Viking Rafting base at Hafgrímsstaðir is located on Road #752, 15km from its junction with Hwy #1 at the west end of Varmahlíð. Simply follow Road #752 up the valley for about 10-15 minutes until you see us on the left-hand side of the road!
- FROM REYKJAVÍK: 305km/190mi (4-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ringroad) towards the North. Just after you descend a long hill into the Skagafjörður valley, Road #752 is on your RIGHT, about 500m before the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located).
- FROM AKUREYRI: 110km/68mi (1.5-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ring-road) towards the West. Continue along about 500m past the left turn in the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located) until you reach Road #752 on your LEFT.
Book this tour
Why choose us?
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Diving & Lava Caving
Lava Caving and Diving Silfra combo tour is a great combination tour for those who want to make the most of their time in Iceland.
- Diving & Lava caving
- Silfra unique surroundings
- Caving expedition
- All year
Diving & Golden Circle
On this trip we will enjoy diving in the crystal clear waters of Silfra and visit the famous sights of the Golden Circle route.
- Diving & Golden Circle
- Extraordinary waters of Silfra
- Þingvellir, Gullfoss & Geysir
- All year
Kayaking Adventure is a two hour guided sea kayaking tour from Stokkseyri - only 45 minute drive from Reykjavík capital
- Sea kayaking adventure tour
- Approximately 2 hour kayaking
- Meet on location tour
- All year
Diving & Whale Watching
Between June and August we offer the Dive Silfra & Whale Watching Combo Tour. On this tour we first dive Silfra and go whale watching afterwards.
- Diving & Whale watching
- Silfra fissure rift valleys
- Whale watching from Reykjavík