- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Iceland’s most extreme rafting experience
- World-class whitewater action
- Spectacular landscape & remote canyon
Looking for the best tours in Iceland? If the answer is yes, then you should highly consider doing this one. On this Iceland adventure tour we will be experiencing the raging waters of the East Glacial River gorge (Jokulsa-Austari) - the stage for our most challenging and action-packed day trip, appropriately named the “Beast of the East”! A spectacular deep canyon relentless heart -pumping whitewater action, the East Glacial River has consistently been rated one of Europe’s best rafting rivers and topped popular guide book's lists of Iceland’s “must-do” highlights. Never rafted before? Not to worry! Despite its challenging nature, this trip doesn’t demand previous rafting experience. The ability to swim, enthusiasm for hard physical work (paddling & swimming), and a powerful thirst for adventure is all you need to take on the Beast!
What to expect? Arguably the most remote single-day rafting trip on the planet, this whitewater adventure delivers an unforgettable journey into the raw beauty of Iceland’s river wilderness.
Travel tip: This one is not for the faint heart-ed.
- Rated 4+ out of 5 or Challenging to Demanding
- Yes (extra cost - only from Akureyri)
Meet on Location:
- 18 years old
- Certificated rafting guides
- Challenging river rafting action
- Meals & drinks
What to bring:
- Warm undergarments (fleece/wool sweater)
- Change of clothing
- Bathing suit and towel
- Pickup available from Akureyri (extra cost) - leaves at 7:20 from Akureyri Backpackers @ Hafnarstræti 98
- Every day
- Lunch of the Day - ISK 2,500 p. pers
- Pickup from Akureyri - ISK 6,000 p. pers
- Trip Photos - ISK 5,000
Good to know:
- ✓ The Viking Rafting base at Hafgrímsstaðir is located on Road #752, 15km from its junction with Hwy #1 at the west end of Varmahlíð. Simply follow Road #752 up the valley for about 10-15 minutes until you see us on the left-hand side of the road!
- ✓ FROM REYKJAVÍK: 305km/190mi (4-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ringroad) towards the North. Just after you descend a long hill into the Skagafjörður valley, Road #752 is on your RIGHT, about 500m before the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located).
- ✓ FROM AKUREYRI: 110km/68mi (1.5-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ring-road) towards the West. Continue along about 500m past the left turn in the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located) until you reach Road #752 on your LEFT.
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Robinson Crusoe is family kayaking trip from Stokkseyri - only 45 minutes drive from Reykjavik capital
- Meet on location tour
- Kayaking adventure tour
- 1-3 hours kayaking
- All year
Snorkeling Silfra Fissure
Explore the hidden world of Silfra Fissure and go snorkeling through rift valley's in crystal clear waters.
- Free pickup
- Silfra Fissure waters
- Explore volcanic underground
- All year
Diving & Horse Riding
This day trip in Iceland is available from 1st of April to 30th of September. Go diving in the crystal clear waters of Silfra and enjoy a horse riding tour in Icelandic nature and countryside.
- Free pickup
- Deep waters of Silfra
- Horse riding tour
Private Diving & Snorkeling
Iceland guided tours - we can offer private diving or snorkeling tours with your personal guide and vehicle. These tours can be custom-made and include elements that are not part of the regular tour.
- Private Diving or Snorkeling tour
- Personal guide & driver
- Silfra fissure rift valley's
- All year