- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Iceland’s most extreme rafting experience
- World-class whitewater action
- Spectacular landscape & remote canyon
Looking for the best tours in Iceland? If the answer is yes, then you should highly consider doing this one. On this Iceland adventure tour we will be experiencing the raging waters of the East Glacial River gorge (Jokulsa-Austari) - the stage for our most challenging and action-packed day trip, appropriately named the “Beast of the East”! A spectacular deep canyon relentless heart -pumping whitewater action, the East Glacial River has consistently been rated one of Europe’s best rafting rivers and topped popular guide book's lists of Iceland’s “must-do” highlights. Never rafted before? Not to worry! Despite its challenging nature, this trip doesn’t demand previous rafting experience. The ability to swim, enthusiasm for hard physical work (paddling & swimming), and a powerful thirst for adventure is all you need to take on the Beast!
What to expect? Arguably the most remote single-day rafting trip on the planet, this whitewater adventure delivers an unforgettable journey into the raw beauty of Iceland’s river wilderness.
Travel tip: This one is not for the faint heart-ed.
- Rated 4+ out of 5 or Challenging to Demanding
- Yes (extra cost - only from Akureyri)
Meet on Location:
- 18 years old
- Certificated rafting guides
- Challenging river rafting action
- Meals & drinks
What to bring:
- Warm undergarments (fleece/wool sweater)
- Change of clothing
- Bathing suit and towel
- Pickup available from Akureyri (extra cost) - leaves at 7:20 from Akureyri Backpackers @ Hafnarstræti 98
- Every day
- Lunch of the Day - ISK 2,500 p. pers
- Pickup from Akureyri - ISK 6,000 p. pers
- Trip Photos - ISK 5,000
Good to know:
- ✓ The Viking Rafting base at Hafgrímsstaðir is located on Road #752, 15km from its junction with Hwy #1 at the west end of Varmahlíð. Simply follow Road #752 up the valley for about 10-15 minutes until you see us on the left-hand side of the road!
- ✓ FROM REYKJAVÍK: 305km/190mi (4-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ringroad) towards the North. Just after you descend a long hill into the Skagafjörður valley, Road #752 is on your RIGHT, about 500m before the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located).
- ✓ FROM AKUREYRI: 110km/68mi (1.5-hour drive). Follow Highway #1 (Ring-road) towards the West. Continue along about 500m past the left turn in the centre of Varmahlíð (where the Tourist Info & N1 fuel station are located) until you reach Road #752 on your LEFT.
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Snorkeling & Golden Circle
Silfra fissure is one of the most magical areas of Iceland to go under water. We then head to Iceland's most popular attractions -the Golden Circle.
- Free pickup
- Snorkeling clear waters
- Golden Circle attractions
- All year
Diving & Whale Watching
Between June and August we offer the Dive Silfra & Whale Watching combo tour. First go scuba diving in Silfra and then get ready for whale watching from Reykjavik bay area.
- Free pickup
- Diving Silfra fissure rift valleys
- Whale watching from Reykjavik
Calm Water Kayaking
A wonderful experience for beginners and veterans alike, this Iceland trip takes you paddling just beneath the magnificent mountains that tower over our small town.
- Meet on location tour
- Kayaking in West fjords
- Guide & kayaking gear
- All year
Snorkeling & Horse Riding
This is a great Iceland day tour for the whole family – you do not need experience to snorkel or ride horses, the Icelandic horses are an extremely special and protected breed.
- Combo day tour
- Snorkeling in Silfra fissure
- Riding the Icelandic horse
- Summer & Fall