- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Ice climbing
- Glacier hiking
- Solheimajokull glacier outlet
On this Iceland trip you’ll learn about these massive natural phenomena from your guide and be provided with all the necessary equipment to get some exercise in full comfort and safety. You will also learn the basics of ice climbing and climb the vertical crevasse walls of Solheimajokull glacier. This tour is for anyone looking to experience one of the natural wonders of the earth. You’ll meet your guide in the Solheimajokull parking lot and then make your way to the ice itself, a brisk 30-minute walk to get the blood flowing. The ice cap sits on top of the mighty Katla volcano, one of the largest and most active volcanoes in Iceland. On a clear day, you may also be able to see Eyjafjallajokull, another glacier to the east which famously brought European air traffic to a halt in 2010 when its eruption filled the sky with fire and ash.
What to expect? Once you reach the ice, you’ll be given plenty of time to marvel at the eerie silence and feeling of isolation, as if you and your fellow hikers are alone in a vast, empty world of ice and snow. You’ll view millennia-old blue ice, created when oxygen bubbles are trapped in the snow and compressed into ice by the enormous weight of the glacier pressing down upon it. You’ll be able to gaze deep into a glacier moulin, a vertical shaft like a well, which can go all the way to the bottom of the glacier. The guide will set up a climbing rope and you will learn how to ascend a vertical wall using ice axes and crampons.
Travel tip: Experienced guides will teach you all you need to know and have you walking safely on the glacier in no time. Safety equipment and briefings are provided before each tour. Nature is best experienced free of worries!
- All year
- Rated 3 out of 5 or Moderate
Meet on Location:
- 14 years old
- Experienced glacier guide
- Safety gear (Harness, Ice Axe, Carabiners, Crampons)
- Glacier boots
- Lunch & drinks
What to bring:
- Warm clothing (waterproof recommended)
- Oct-May 10:00 AM, May-Sept 9:00 AM
- Oct-May 10:30 AM, May-Sept 09:30 AM
- Every day
- Pickup up and drop off from Reykjavík - 7.000 ISK p.pers.
Good to know:
- Directions from Reykjavík (or any other place further west): Drive east on road no. 1 until you reach road 221 – Sólheimajökulsvegur. Take a leftturn onto road 221 and drive until you reach the parking lot at Sólheimajökull. Distance from Reykjavík: 160km (Approximately 2+ hours).
- Directions from Vík: Drive west on road no. 1 until you reach road 221 – Sólheimajökulsvegur. Take a right turn onto road 221 and drive until you reach the parking lot at Sólheimajökull. Distance from Vík: 26km
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Glacier Hike & South Coast
A spectacular Iceland day tour, glacier hiking and sightseeing the South Coast of Iceland with magnificent waterfalls, black sandy beaches and ocean views.
- Free pickup
- Glacier hiking Solheimajokull
- Waterfalls & ocean views
- All year