- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Hike to Hvannadalshnjúkur - Iceland Highest Summit
- Unforgettable hike with panoramic views
The ascent of the highest peak in Iceland, Hvannadalshnúkur (2110 m / 6900 feet) is a once-in-a-lifetime must. The peak is located in the north-western rim of Öræfajökull volcano and promises an unforgettable hike with breathtaking panoramic views stretching over the rugged outlet glaciers of Vatnajökull glacier or over the vast sandy plains of the glaciated rivers that drain off that great glacier. Although there is no technical climbing involved in the ascent to the summit, it is both physically and mentally challenging and takes 10-15 hours. The total elevation gain is more than 2000m (6,500 ft.) and the total walking distance is 23 km (14 miles). We will be moving over challenging terrain and crossing crevasses so an expert mountain guide and specialized glacier equipment such as ropes and crampons are essential.
Certified Tour Operator:
Icelandic Mountain Guides
- Rated 5 out of 5 or Challenging
Meet on Location:
- Yes (Icelandic Mountain Guides Sales Lodge (next to the National Park Visitor Center) 15 min. prior to departure)
- 16 years old
- Guiding services
- Ice gear and safety equipment
- A briefing with your guide takes place the evening before
- Lunch, energy bars & drinks
What to bring:
- Warm clothing
- Rain gear
- Hking boots
- Energy bars and drinks
- There is a meeting with the guide at our log cabin at 18:00 the night prior to departure. Please contact our office for further information.
- Tue, Fri, Sat
Good to know:
- For your own wellbeing and safety, we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also, respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
- Boots and Clothing: Hiking Boots – Waterproof with good ankle support. Gaiters. Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic. Long Johns (early season – April / beginning of May). Light sweater, wool or fleece (2nd layer). Warm Jacket – Wool or fleece (3rd layer). Pants – light and fast drying – e.g. soft-shell. Jacket with a good hood – Waterproof and breathable.
- Rain pants – Waterproof and breathable material. Gloves – 2 pairs - different thickness. Mittens – insulated (early season climbs / April beginning of May). Socks – Wool or synthetic. Warm hat– Wool or synthetic. Other gear: Backpack – 30-40 litres. Sunglasses – rated for glacier travel. Sun protection / face and lips. High SPF 30 or more. Camera. Headlamp (at times of year when it gets dark).
- Optional gear: Walking Pole(s). Sun/rain Hat or a Baseball cap for sun protection. Ski-goggles for ascents to the end of April. Food and drink: Lunch – Sandwiches, biscuits, power-bars etc. Water – 3 Litres of water and/or sport drink. Warm drink – Tea, Hot-Chocolate or alternative. (Volume can be subtracted from total water!)
- Pack food for a long day. A mixture of sweets and chocolate and a few (3 – 5) sandwiches is ideal. Water should be carried so that it is always accessible. Camelback type hydration system is ideal or water-bottles that can be hung from the back pack or climbing harness. Water should ideally be mixed with a thin mix of a rehydrating energy drink.
- 2 Participants minimum for this tour to be operated
You might also like
Goðafoss - Evening Tour
Goðafoss “waterfall of the gods” is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in Iceland falls from a height of 12 meters over a width of 30 meters.
- Waterfall tour from Akureyri
- Goðafoss - waterfall of the gods
- Evening summer tour
Visit the most popular attractions in north Iceland on the Diamond Circle tour.
- Popular sights of North Iceland
- Waterfalls, canyons & craters
- Dettifoss, Ásbyrgi & Víti
- All year
Mountain Snæfell Hiking
Feel at one with nature on this year round hiking excursion to one of Iceland’s highest peaks, Mt. Snæfell (Snow Mountain).
- Hiking tour from Egilsstaðir
- One of Iceland highest peaks
- Natural pools of Laugarfell
- All Year