- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Hike to summit of Snæfellsjökull glacier
- Amazing panoramic view from glacial volcano
- Challenging hike
The Snæfellsjökull glacier is one of the most attractive mountains in Iceland, rising majestically up from the middle of Snæfellsnes peninsula. On this Iceland day tour, you hike to the summit of Snæfellsnesjökull, the crowning jewel of Snæfellsnes Peninsula. It is one of the most picturesque glacier in Iceland, and hides a dormant 700.000-year-old volcano which rises 1.446 m above sea level and last erupted in 250 AD. Most famous for providing the setting for Jules Verne ‘s classic subterranean epic, “Journey to the Center of the Earth” the area is rich with history and mystique. Standing on top of the glacial volcano, you have amazing panoramic views that extend from the Reykjanes Peninsula in the south to the West Fjords in the North. The drive to the starting point of the hike takes you through Snæfellsnes National Park. It is a microcosms of Iceland as a whole with black sand beaches, mossy lava fields, rare wildlife and hidden waterfalls and caves.
What to expect? A challenging hike to top of Snæfellsjökull glacier,with elevation gain around 750 m (2.459 ft) and total distance of 7-8 km (4,38 miles) that we cover in about 6-8 hours.
Travel tip: This tour offers amazing views, geological wonders and a challenging glacier hike.
- Rated 4 out of 5 or Demanding
Meet on Location:
- 16 years old
- Glacier equipment
- Guiding service
- Lunch, energy bars & drinks
What to bring:
- Bring warm clothing
- Rain gear
- Hiking boots
- Food, drinks and energy bars
- Quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms
- Food: Pack food for a long day.
- A mixture of sweets and chocolate and a few (3 – 5) sandwiches is ideal.
- Water should be carried so that it is always accessible. We will make a service stop on the way.
- Camel back type hydration system are ideal or water-bottles that can be hung from the back pack or climbing harness.
- Water should ideally be mixed with a thin mix of a re hydrating energy drink.
- Shoes: Hiking shoes appropriate for hiking and trekking in rough terrains and Snow (hiking boots can be rented if booked in advance).
- Long Johns (early season – April / beginning of May)
- Light sweater, wool or fleece (2nd layer).
- Warm Jacket – Wool or fleece (3rd layer).
- Pants – light and fast drying – e.g. soft-shell.
- Jacket with a good hood – Waterproof and breathable.
- Rain pants – Waterproof and breathable material.
- Gloves – 2 pairs - different thickness. Mittens – insulated (early season climbs / April beginning of May).
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. Warm hat– Wool or synthetic.
- Other gear: Backpack - Around 30 liters in capacity, beanie, sunglasses, small thermal mat for lunch break, ski-goggles for ascents in the edge of seasons.
- 8:00 AM
- 11:00 AM
- Mon, Wed & Sat
Good to know:
- ✓ Equipment list and further information: For your own well being and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list.
- ✓ Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts.
- ✓ Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
- ✓ Clothing: Goretex shell or equally waterproof jacket and pants, hiking pants. (Not jeans), warm sweater and suitable first layer (Not cotton), hat and gloves and extra pair of dry clothing may come in good hand after the tour.
- ✓ Fitness level: The hike is Challenging with elevation gain around 750 m (2.459 ft) and total distance of 7-8km (4,38 mi) that we cover in about 6-8 hours. For your own well being and safety, we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list.
- ✓ Weather: Can change rapidly in the Glacial area of Snæfellsjökull route so make sure that you are well prepared no matter the current weather or weather forecast.
- 2 Participants minimum for this tour to be operated
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Glacier Hike & South Coast
A spectacular Iceland day tour, glacier hiking and sightseeing the South Coast of Iceland with magnificent waterfalls, black sandy beaches and ocean views.
- Free pickup
- Glacier hiking Solheimajokull
- Waterfalls & ocean views
- All year