- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Extreme mountain biking
- Hekla active volcano
- Stunning highlands area of Landmannalaugar
Iceland was created for the extreme experience. With its abundance of volcanoes, glaciers, rivers and rough terrain, it is truly a mountain biker enthusiast’s paradise. In this tour, we will stay three nights in a charming and comfortable mountain hut situated within a short distance from our favorite single track trails in the highlands.
Group size: From 5 - 9 participants.
Biking distance: ~25 - 40 kilometers pr. day.
Bike and equipment: The perfect bike for this trip is a five or six-inch all-mountain dual suspension bike with disk brakes. All participants are required to have their bikes in excellent working order before the trip begins.
Rent a bike: Two types of full suspension rental bikes are available for this trip: Trek Fuel EX 8 29" (or similar) for 10,500 ISK per day and Trek Fuel EX 5 27,5/27 plus (or similar) for 12,000 ISK per day. We strongly recommend, though, that participants bring their own bikes if possible.
Lodging and food: Accommodations are in remote and authentic lodges located in special remote locations. Rooms at the lodges vary from smaller six-person rooms to rooms that will accommodate the whole group (and sometimes others). The food is hearty and typical of the area. Bike Company supervises the preparation of all meals. However, group member participation is required. Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary considerations.
Climate: Iceland can be chilly, even in summer. Expect nights to dip down to below 10°C ( 50°F) and days to warm up to 15-20°C (60-70°F) and warmer. In mountains, weather can change quickly and drastically and rain is common. Participants need to be prepared for a wide range of weather.
Level II-III: The technical ability required for the Laugavegur Trail is rated as challenging for advanced/expert mountain bikers used to physically demanding routes.
Fitness level III: There are a few long hike-a-bike sections and riders can expect 4+ hours in the saddle daily. As you know, the fitter you are the more fun you'll have. This trip is demanding, taking you at times into a remote landscape.
D1 // HENGILL VOLCANO
Meet with your driver and guide in the morning at your hotel in Reykjavik. Today we’ll ride the area surrounding Hengill, a volcano that last erupted two thousand years ago which lies in Iceland’s western volcanic belt. The area surrounding the volcano is renowned for its hot springs, natural warm rivers and steaming fumaroles and is described as mystical and entrancing. In the afternoon we drive about 2 hours along Iceland’s fantastic South Coast for a two nights stay at the mountain hut Hólaskógur in Þjórsárdalur.
Ride: Distance 17 km – Elevation gain 390 m / loss -680 m
D2 // LANDMANNALAUGAR
We spend the whole day at the stunning Landmannalaugar area with its colorful mountains. The single-track trails in the area are as plentiful as they are diverse. We end the day with a well-deserved, relaxing bath in a natural hot spring.
Ride: Distance 25-30 km – Elevation gain / loss 650 m
D3 // ÞJÓRSÁRDALUR
This legendary ride starts from Iceland’s second-highest waterfall, Háifoss, which plunges 122m off the edge of a plateau and ends in the Gjáin Valley, a place full of twisting lava, spectacular waterfalls and otherworldly caves. After the ride a 2-hour-drive back to Reykjavik.
Ride: Distance 12 km – Elevation gain 150 m / loss -400 m
Certified Tour Operator:
- Rated 3 out of 5 or Moderate
- Group size: From 2 - 10 participants.
- Expert local leadership
- All transports during the trip and assistance vehicle to carry the luggage
- Two nights in huts during the tour (sleeping bags in common rooms)
- Quality full-suspension MTB and helmet
- All meals and snacks from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 3
- Accommodation and meals in Reykjavik before and after the trip
- Mountain bike
- Pickup and drop off at the airport
- Trip insurance
What to bring:
- Your mountain bike and related equipment needed to ride
- Personal items like drinks, snacks and energy supplements
- 8:30 AM
- 09:00 AM
- Mon & Fri
Good to know:
- Climate: Iceland can be chilly, even in summer. Expect nights to dip down to below 10°C ( 50°F) and days to warm up to 15-20°C (60-70°F) and warmer. In mountains, weather can change quickly and drastically and rain is common. Participants need to be prepared for a wide range of weather.
- We reserve the right to make alterations and substitutions to the itinerary as weather or terrain conditions dictate or as necessary to improve the trip quality or to accommodate the comfort, convenience and well-being of our guests. Biking distance: ~15 - 20 kilometers pr. day
- Our trips take place in remote regions where limited evacuation options are available. Bear in mind, there are always risks and hazards on the trails that we ride. If you choose to participate in our trips, it is up to you to ride well within your limits, to ride conservatively and to be safe as mountain biking is a dangerous sport.
- Participants must keep their bikes in good working condition; they must be hydrated and rested and alcohol and drugs are not permitted while riding. Our guides have basic first aid training and if a serious injury is suspected they will call for a helicopter search and rescue at the cost of the participant. Personal medical travel insurance is mandatory.
Book this tour
Why choose us?
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
ATV & Caving Tour
From riding the ATV with mountain views to exploring colorful lava caves, you’ll experience the amazing variety of Iceland’s landscape.
- ATV tour from Reykjavík
- Underground caving tour
- Colorful landscape & lava caves
- All year
Lava Beach ATV Tour
On this ATV Lava Beach tour you will experience spectacular mountain views, black sandy beach with old ruins, gravel mountain road and rugged coastline.
- Reykjanes ATV tour
- Rugged lava landscape
- Black sandy beaches
- All year
ATV & Golden Circle
See the famous delights of the Golden Circle and combine with a quad biking adventure you’ll never forget? Two fantastic experiences in one.
- Quad biking & Golden Circle
- 1 hour out on the ATV trails
- Guided Golden Circle tour
- All year