- Tour Overview
- Tour Information
- Tour Details
- Þórsmörk Nature Reserve
- Fantastic Glacier view
- Warm lava & craters
- Impressive waterfalls and canyons
Fimmvörðuháls hike has become a real hot spot showcasing spectacular nature and exciting geological features. The trail goes from the nature reserve of Þórsmörk, up between the two glaciers, then travels over the newly batch of formed lava. From there, we travel pass the two popular craters Magni and Móði before descending to the lowlands on the southern side. Afterward, we are finally greeted by the great Skógafoss waterfall with the Atlantic coast residing in a short distance. This astonishing diversity makes this short trek another favorite in Iceland. Accommodation in mountain huts. Due to this trail's popularity, there is potential for irreparable damage to the nature that we all enjoy. As environmental stewards in Iceland, we are taking a proactive approach to preserve the trail and the surrounding environment by allocating 1% of the tour price for each passenger to our Environmental Fund. With us, you get to experience this amazing trail and minimize your environmental impact.
Day 1: Reykjavik - Þórsmörk
From the Reykjavik BSI bus terminal we take the regular public bus at 08:00 am to the beautiful Þórsmörk valley behind the glaciers in the south highlands. We arrive in Þórsmörk around noon and after lunch we’ll have the opportunity to explore this natural wonder and enjoy the picturesque scenery. Night in one of the huts in Þórsmörk.
Day 2: Þórsmörk - Fimmvörðuháls
Leaving Þórsmörk we cross the river Krossá on a footbridge entering the magic landscapes of Goðalönd – the abode of the Gods. Nesting at the foot of two glaciers this is a wonderland of ridges and cliffs covered by a multitude of flowers and grasses, certainly fit for gods and humans alike. Even the elves have made themselves at home here. We continue up the hills leading to the pass of Fimmvörðuháls, walking along the Kattarhryggir ridges with views to the impressive mountain of Útigönguhöfði up to Morinsheiði heath. A the end of the Morinsheiði plateu we enjoy the view of the lava stream that flowed down from the Fimmvörðuháls volcano in March and early April 2010. The lava is all set with different outlets of fuming steam and decorated with green and yellow sulphur. As we gain height above Morinsheiði we come again to the lava and then to the two craters Magni and Móði that erupted prior to the main Eyjafjallajökull crater. We cross the brand new lava just at the foot of the magnificent red craters, through places were the lava is almost glowing warm inside the fissures and cracks on its surface. After crossing safely the lava we get a view to the lava and the craters from a hill on the other side, before crossing the néves of the high pass of Fimmvörðuháls, to get to the hut between the glaciers Eyjafjallajökull and Mýrdalsjökull, where we set up for the night.
Distance:12-14 km (7-9 mi) Walking time: 6-7 hrs Ascent: 900 m (2953’)
Day 3: Fimmvörðuháls - Skógar - Reykjavik
After a night between the two glaciers we head down to Skógar. At the beginning, the path takes us over a desolate heath an old hut that does not offer much shelter any more. We come to the Skógaá River and follow the river exploring its many hidden gorges, and waterfalls all the way to the famous Skógafoss waterfall. The river and its surroundings offer great scenery. The coast seems to be within arm´s reach and you can almost feel the surf on your cheeks. Arriving at Skógafoss, we hop on the scheduled bus to Reykjavik. Arrival at Reykjavik BSI bus terminal at 7:20 pm, where the trip ends.
Distance:12-13km (7-8 mi) Walking time: 6-7 hrs Descent: 1000 m (3280’)
- Rated 2 to 3 out of 5 or Easy to Moderate
- 16 years old
- 6 to 16 participants
- Guide for 3 days
- Transportation to and from Reykjavik
- Food for 3 days (from lunch day 1 to lunch day 3)
- Mountain hut fees
- Cooking gear
- Sleeping bags
What to bring:
- See detailed equipment list ↓
- Sturdy Hiking Boots – waterproof with good ankle support
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- T-shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool or fleece sweater (2nd layer)
- Trousers – Strong and light material that dries quickly e.g. soft-shell
- Jacket with a good hood – windproof, waterproof and breathable
- Rain trousers – windproof, waterproof and breathable
- Gloves, Socks – Wool or synthetic (two or three pairs), Warm hat
- A duffel bag for the transport of your overnight gear between huts (please avoid bringing a suitcase)
- Backpack for extra clothes and food during the day (25 – 40L), Water Container
- River shoes – Walking sandals or old running shoes with a good grip are a good choice, along with a pair of warm socks or neoprene socks
- Light Sleeping bag, Towel, Sunglasses & sun protection
- Casual clothes/change of clothes for wearing in the hut
- Prescription medication and other personal health item
- Walking pole(s), Gaiters, Neoprene socks – highly recommended for river crossings
- Pen knife, Earplugs, Sun/rain hat or caps
- Thermal mat (for lunch breaks)
- Puffy jacket (e.g. Primaloft or down)
- Camera, spare batteries, Dry-bags for electronics and extra clothing
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste etc
- Slippers for indoor use
- Aperitif or other heart-warming spirits
- From 6:45 & 07:10 AM
- 07:30 AM
- The tour starts and ends at BSI bus terminal, meeting time is at 07:15 am.
- ✓ Double room in a guesthouse in Reykjavik, w. shared facilities, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 25.500 ISK pr. person .
- ✓ Single room in a guesthouse in Reykjavik, w. shared facilities, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 40.000 ISK .
- ✓ Double room in a three-star hotel in Reykjavik, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 33.000 ISK pr. person.
- ✓ Single room in a three-star hotel in Reykjavik, one night before and one night after the trip, pick up and drop off - 58.000 ISK.
- ✓ Special dietary during the tour (ISK 3,000)
Good to know:
- ✓ There is no access for vehicles all the way to the hut on Fimmvörðuháls.
- ✓ You can add pick up and drop off at your accommodation in Reykjavik at the beginning/end of the tour is for 5.000 ISK.
- ✓ Accommodation/camping fees before and after the tour are not included in base price.
- ✓ About the mountain huts: Both huts are heated, Þórsmörk hut has electricity and showers. They have dormitory with twin bunk beds, participants have to be prepared to share a bunk with other travelers from the group.
- ✓ Dry food and sleeping bags/blankets are stored in the huts so we need to carry sleeping bag liner, toiletries, extra clothing and some fresh food.
- ✓ Total walking distance: 22 km. (13,6 miles), Altitude: 150-1100 m. (490-3600 feet), Maximum Ascent: 1000 m. (3280 feet).
Book this tour
- No Booking Fees
- Best Price Guarantee
- Fast & Secure Booking
- Instant Confirmation
You might also like
Northern Lights & Ice Cave
A long awaited winter break in a 4 star hotel, with sightseeing, light hiking and activities!
- 2 day winter adventure
- Glacier hiking & ice caving
- Chasing the Northern Lights
Iceland’s most famous trek lives up to the hype. The landscape combined with long and bright Icelandic summer nights, will capture your nature loving heart.
- 5 day adventure trekking
- Vibrant rhyolite mountains
- Þórsmörk canyons & valleys
Golden Circle & Glaciers
Winter short Iceland excursion with ice cave, glacier hiking and hunting for the Northern Lights!
- 3 day winter excursion
- Ice Cave & Glaciers
- Waterfalls & sandy beaches